Am I a Candidate for a Breast Lift?
Women who do not smoke, are in generally good health, and have reasonable expectations for the results of their breast lift surgery are ideal candidates for the procedure. In many cases, candidates were confronted with one or more of the following conditions:
- Breasts that have become deformed and have lost their shape
- Drooping or sagging breasts
- Enlargement of the areolas
- A nipple and areola complex that is positioned in a downward direction
- Breasts that are not symmetrical (additional breast surgery techniques may be needed)
How Is a Breast Lift Performed?
What Is Discussed At My Consultation?
During your consultation with Dr. Goldberg, you will be discussing your goals regarding the appearance and the feel of your breasts. Dr. Goldberg will assess your breasts in order to determine whether or not a breast lift would be beneficial for you.
If she determines that you are a good candidate for breast lift surgery, then she will select the type of anesthesia that she will use for the procedure, as well as the type of incision that she will make. After that, she will answer to any inquiries or worries that you might have regarding your lift and give you instructions for pre and post operation.
WHAT KIND OF ANESTHESIA IS USED FOR BREAST LIFT SURGERY?
Either local or general anesthesia may be administered, and the decision will be made based on the extent of the procedure (which factors include the size and shape of the breasts, the amount of excess skin that needs to be removed, and the size and position of the areolas). You will not feel any pain at any point during the surgical procedure, regardless of the type of anesthesia that is administered.
What Happens During My Breast Lift?
Following the administration of the anesthesia, Dr. Goldberg will then proceed to make an incision in the breast. She will be lifting and reshaping the breast tissue that lies beneath. She will also be repositioning the nipple and the areola. If it turns out to be necessary, she will also make the size of the areola smaller. At the end of the procedure, the incisions will be stitched up, and then you will be ready to start your recovery.
Depending on how complex the procedure is, it can take anywhere from two to three hours to finish.
Where Will My Breast Lift Incisions Be?
When performing breast lift surgery, Dr. Goldberg uses one of the following three different types of incisions:
- Donut lift:Used for treating minimal sagging. A cut is made all the way around the areola for this procedure. Because it results in very little movement of the nipple-areola complex position in relation to the breast mound, this lift technique is the least effective of the three that are available. In addition, because of the tension that exists around the nipple, the scar that surrounds the nipple typically grows larger with time.
- Lollipop lift: Used to treat moderate to severe sagging. The incision is made all the way down to the bottom of the breast, giving it the appearance of a lollipop. It is made all the way around the areola. This is a significantly more efficient method of lifting. When augmenting the upper pole of the breast and adding fullness to the overall breast, Dr. Goldberg often uses the patient’s own breast tissue.
- Anchor or inverted-T lift: Used to treat severe cases of sagging and correction. The incision starts out as a lollipop lift, but then another incision is made below the breasts across the inframammary fold (also known as the breast crease). This breast lift method is extremely effective. The horizontal component of the scar is reduced to a minimum by Dr. Goldberg, which results in fewer scars being left on your breast. Dr. Goldberg may also perform a technique known as autoaugmentation, in which the patient’s own breast tissue is used to augment the upper pole of the breast. This results in the breast appearing to be fuller.
Here are some examples to illustrate the various types of breast lifts.
*Individual Results May Vary
Case Study: Lollipop Breast Lift
A woman in her sixties who has unequal breast development is shown here. She had a lollipop lift performed on her left breast in order to achieve the same breast shape and size as her right breast.
At just three months, this is an early result.Photo Gallery
*Individual Results May Vary
Case Study: Anchor Breast Lift
An anchor breast lift was performed on this patient.
The patient is a 42-year-old woman who went through an anchor breast lift procedure in which her own breast tissue was used to augment the upper pole fullness of her breasts. The end result is a significant lift of the breast, the return of the breast’s natural shape, and the fullness that was lost in the upper pole of the breasts.Photo Gallery
What Is GalaFLEX® Surgical Scaffolding?
GalaFLEX® surgical scaffolding is a mesh-like material that is inserted into the breast during the lifting procedure. By serving to reinforce the tissues, this mesh performs the function of an internal bra. Breast lifts performed with GalaFLEX® typically produce results that are more long-lasting.
IF YOU THINK YOU MIGHT BE A CANDIDATE FOR BREAST LIFT SURGERY, SCHEDULE YOUR CONSULTATION WITH DR. GOLDBERG TODAY.Request A Consultation
What Is Breast Lift Recovery Like?
Immediately following your procedure, a tube may be placed in your body to remove any fluid or blood that has accumulated. You will experience some soreness, swelling, and bruising in your breasts, however, these side effects will disappear within two weeks. Medicines can be taken to alleviate any discomfort post operation.
Following surgery, you will be advised to refrain from engaging in physically taxing activities for a period of two weeks, but you should be able to go back to work within one to two weeks. Numbness in the area is a common side effect that may last for as long as six weeks after the surgery. In order to hasten your recovery during this time period, you will be required to wear a compression garment.
What Results Can I Expect From Breast Lift Surgery?
How Long Until I See My Results?
The results of your procedure will be noticeable as soon as it is complete, despite the fact that you will experience some bruising and swelling in the area. However, it may take anywhere from three to six weeks before you see the full effects of your surgery.
Will There Be Any Scars?
Incisions need to be made in order to perform breast lift surgery, so it is inevitable that you will have scarring after the procedure. If a lollipop or anchor/inverted-T incision is used, there will be some scarring that is visible on the breast skin. However, a good portion of the scarring from a breast lift will be concealed in the breast contours around the areola and in the natural creases of the breasts. The scars should become less noticeable over time.
Can a Breast Lift Be Combined With Other Procedures?
Yes. Although there are women who opt to have a breast lift as their only surgical procedure, the majority of women opt to combine their breast surgery with other procedures. A breast lift combined with breast implants (augmentation) is one of the most popular combinations of procedures, as is a breast reduction followed by a lift. When women want to change the size of both of their breasts at the same time, they often opt to have combinations performed.
Because you will be trying to recover from multiple procedures simultaneously, combining procedures can result in a shorter overall recovery period, which is one of the benefits of combining procedures .
How Much Does a Breast Lift Cost?
The cost of a breast lift is patient-specific, as is the case with all surgical procedures. The extent of the correction, the type of anesthesia that is administered, the incision technique that is required, and whether or not the breast lift is combined with other procedures are all factors that affect the price of the breast lift. During your consultation, you will be given an accurate cost estimate to review and consider.
Interested in Breast Lift Surgery in South Bay?
Please give us a call at (310) 325-0310 or fill out our contact form if you are interested in breast lift surgery or with any of the other procedures that we provide. We can’t wait to be of assistance in making you feel more at ease and confident in your own skin!
Put in a request for a consultation, or go ahead and schedule your next appointment!Contact Us